Friday, February 15, 2008

Writing Prompt #6

Describe how you choose your topics and then begin to develop them. How does this process impact the final product? What might be some other ways of developing topics?


When writing an essay, I usually do not get to choose a topic. Lately, I have not written an essay just for the fun of it. It has always been assigned to me by my teachers. But if I got to choose a topic, it would be something I am very well interested in. For example, if my teacher assigned me to write about lowering the drinking age or keeping it where it was at…that would be an easy subject to write about. Considering I am not 21 yet, I could defiantly fight that concept. I think that subjects like this are a lot better and more interesting to write about. I say this because it’s almost like current events and up to date information about our society in general. How I would start this paper…I would ask myself that question, and I would come to about and wanting to choose to write about both, but if all falls and I have to choose one topic, one option, I would go around asking people my age if the drinking age should be lower or if it should be set at 21. I would take the final results of that and start deciding what topic I want to write about. With this topic, it would be very hard to pick what I would want to talk about. For example, I would want to lower the drinking age to 18. I say this because if teenagers can drive at the age of 16 and purchase tobacco and lottery tickets at the age of 18…why waits until 21 to consume alcohol? Also why wait until 21 to gamble? I think that whatever they make legal at the age of 18 should be pushed off to the age of 21 or everything that is legal for the age of 21 should be lower to 18. Around the age of 18, there are so many students that are in college by now. Shouldn’t they be responsible for what’s going on? I mean they’re in college. Any who, I think that it should be like that. And if they get in trouble or whatever, that’s there fault. They should have been a responsible adult. After all, entering and going to college is a total different atmosphere and they are required to become more of a responsible person. That’s just my assumption. Well this is how I would choose a topic and I would develop it very well because I am into this kind of writing and it involves my age group.

No comments: