Friday, February 15, 2008

Writing Prompt #5

In what ways do your high school and college writing experiences differ? Explain.

In high school, I believe that writing was a lot easier. I say this only because I feel like in high school writing I knew what I was exactly doing. I had good grades on every single one of my papers. It was nothing less then a B. I also enjoyed writing so much in high school because we had more of open topics. We were able to choose what to write about, for example, school uniforms, keeping or lowing the drinking/driving age, etc…they were fun topics that I could really relate to and enjoy writing about. It seems that every topic clicked into my head just like that. I love writing essays in high school, I felt like I was meant to write well/good. I felt like teachers in high school were trying to prepare me for college life. Since high school was high school and college was/is the real deal. After all, that was their job, right? Well now that I think about it, they didn’t really do such of a good job. Also I believe that teachers were more laid back and did not care as much as they should of.

Now in college, writing seems to be difficult but not as much. Teachers throw topics at you to the point where you would have to sit down and think for quite a while. I feel like I do not understand topics fully. I have to ask the teacher over and over again to make sure I am doing things right. It is like I would think of the topic this way, but really the teacher is meaning the topic should sound like something totally different from what I was thinking. In college, I actually read about writing, for example, I have to read about how to start a paper, end one, etc… from what I recall in high school, the teacher would just explain information to us. In college, we have an actual text book that explains every aspect of writing. After reading assignments, I feel like I could combine my new and old information and know what the author is talking about. I had turned in my first English paper; I thought to myself I do a pretty good job. I know I struggled with the paper a little bit but figured out what I need to do and get done. I turned in my paper know for sure it wouldn’t be lower then a B. I had received a C and it almost brought tears to my eyes. I felt like I did spend a lot of time on the paper and I also know I was having problems writing it. I did seek for help and thought help would make me become a better writer. The more and more I read through my English writing textbook, the more I feel like I will have a better understanding in writing. I feel that college writing will help me a lot more throughout life more then high school. I believe that high school was just preparing you for the little things and not the major writing things. Teachers in college do not give you a bad grade because they do not like you, I guess they are doing this to make you become a better writer. Who knows...

No comments: