Saturday, January 26, 2008

Writing Prompt #2

When I do my homework, I usually have to do it in a like desk style atmosphere kind of thing. This may sound pretty weird but in order to concentrate fully, I have to have a desk/table and a chair. I tend to lose concentration whenever there are loud noises around. I cannot have people talking or making any little sounds at all. When this all happens, I tend to get off track and it is very hard to start up the process again. I have to actually sit in a chair and have a desk/table in front of me because I feel like I'm in school and this assignment is something I have to do...it's almost like a requirements! Most of the time, I do my homework at home, school, or work, I concentrate the best at school and work. I believe this is the case because sometimes at home you have things that can or would get in the way. For example, if I was doing homework and the computer was in front of me (which it is most of the time), I would get off track and want to check my email, myspace, facebook, etc...or I somebody would instant message me and I would end up talking them for a while. One thing I could control myself about is my cellular phone, if someone calls me, I would love to pick up the phone and start a conversation with them. But I am afraid because I know it could or would last for hours. Now, I put my cellular phone on silent and it has help me choose doing my homework first and then talk later kind of thing. I would also go to St. Louis Bread Company or Borders. I find it hard when there are many people around me talking about random things, such as gossiping and things that tend to be disturbing. I definitely get thrown off track but will still continue doing my homework.
I think I came to a conclusion for doing my homework. What happen was I had the TV on and was obviously watching some shows. When it came around to commercials, I would turn down the volume of the TV and start doing some homework. I tell myself that I am not able to turn the volume back up or watch the show until I have complete a certain portion. There would also be times I would literally watch the show and do homework at the same time. Believe it or not I think it actually worked...I felt like I could concentrate very well. I always thought I would not be able to do but I can...I am going to continue doing this for some assignments but not all. I do not want to get into that habit, only because I am afraid I will get carried away and not be able to focus well. I also tried to sit on the floor but that failed. I can feel that I am not supporting any kind of posture and it also hurts my back. I usually do my homework at home when I am home alone. I am on task more whenever it is like this. I tired doing my homework when my family was home and it did not work out so great either. I get carried away wanting to spend time with my family, I am like this because we only get to spend time with them once a week. There were a couple different ways I tired to do my homework and some failed but others worked out great.

No comments: