Sunday, April 20, 2008

Just get it down on a paper, and then we'll see what to do abou it. - Maxwell Perkins

I do not think I have ever gone to some type of writing class and never heard this being told to me. Yet, I have experienced this many times in many English, Writing or even regular classes. It may be easy for some people just to jot things down on a piece of paper and write from there. So what is the solution for the people that can't do that? Who knows? Many people may think it is a waste of time and such. They think whenever jotting down ideas and such may waste their valuable writing time. In my opinion, I think that if you jot ideas down, your are more likely to do better on your paper, you can easily write your paper too. I think that jotting down ideas is a great idea and all teachers should require it. If all teachers require this method, students would have a better grade on their paper. Whenever I first started to write I never had an outline or jot ideas down on a paper. I always knew what I was going to write about. I knew that papers were going to be a breeze to me whenever they were assigned. So all that I just babbled about...was in grade school and high school. Now that I am in college, it's a lot harder and I actually do have to jot things down or else my paper will be no good. It is also a good idea to do this because you will have things fresh in your mind. You will have references to go back to and look at. You will not be stuck somewhere or you will not waste your time. I believe that you waste your time more on just writing and thinking about what to write about then going back and looking at information. If you have always started your paper without using any notes or without jotting down information before time, you should try it…it actually works. I thought it would not but it actually does. It saves you so much time. You have no idea. Some D writers can become C or maybe even B writers. I think that the teachers should make this a requirement and they would definitely see improvement in writing. I know that ever since I have started college…I have improved on my writing. I am still not the best writer but I will slowly work my way up there.

No comments: